Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 08:15:33 +0100 (CET)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Laszlo Vagner <george@vagner.com>
Subject:   Re: mysql

On 24-Mar-00 Danny wrote:

> Hello
>
> O'Reilly has this good book "mSQL and MySQl" which covers everything you need
> from a reference guide to a new person .

I have used that book for learning myself mysql. Seems to do it but I would
like to have more stuff on how to make (efficient) databases. The book discusses
the three normal forms of databases in such a perousory way it is a bit
difficult for a complete beginner. Inner and outer joins etc. would have to be
exemplified more in my opinion.

The focus is not so much on SQL itself as it is on mysql and msql.

The parts on msql are irrelevant for me but the included chapters on
cgi-scripts were VERY valuable. I needed another book on Perl however to grasp
that part of cgi-scripting ( a 'jump start'-guide 'Perl Power' translated from
original german - don't remember the actual author right now).

I used the info in the book to construct an inventory database (using DBI
in the ports) which I now use and am very happy about.

Nowadays I almost exclusively use the SQL reference part for constructing even
more complicated searches in the database.

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se

This message was sent by XFMail
running on FreeBSD 3.1