Date:      Thu, 6 Oct 2005 09:08:48 +0200
From:      Nicolas Rachinsky <nicolas@ml.turing-complete.org>
To:        freebsd-www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD Project Launches Improved Website

* Murray Stokely <murray@freebsd.org> [2005-10-05 17:12 -0700]:
> We hope you find the new website both easier to navigate and more
> aesthetically pleasing.  We look forward to improving the site further
> over the coming weeks as we work to bring a fresh face to the FreeBSD
> web presence.

I don't like it aesthetically, it's now looking like many other sites.

I think, links should be clearly recognisable as such, without putting
the mouse over them. I didn't recognice "Get FreeBSD Now" as link, at
the first glance, I considered it a heading. But "LATEST RELEASES",
"LATEST NEWS",... look too similar to the links.

And I don't think links should look like normal text, as soon as
the pointer is over them, sometimes it's interessting/relevant which
part of the text is part of the link, so this information should
be available without moving the mouse.

I'm missing the 'shortcuts' "Documentation/Manual pages" and "Bug
Reports/Search". Especially the PR search seems to need too many
clicks: "Support"/"Bug Reports"/"Search problem reports".

Oh, and until now, I missed the "ERRATA NOTICES" completely.

http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/index.html

After noticing that "FreeBSD Copyright and Legal Information" is no
link, this page looks incomplete with only headlines. You learn that
the headlines are in fact links by putting your mouse on them (or sth.
similar).

http://www.freebsd.org/mailto.html

Here the same type of headline is a headline not a link. But wait,
there is no information about "Public Relations & Corporate Liaison,
Security Officer, Postmaster, Webmaster etc.". Strange. Ah, here the
headline is not just a headline, but a link.

That's enough for now.

Nicolas