Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:30:27 +0200
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Stuck "mt status" command -- how do I kill it?

Greg writes:

> Possibly not.  I'd guess that you've found a bug
> in the tape driver.

Would this be something that is timing-sensitive, i.e., that occurs when you
give the mt command at just the wrong time?  Or would it always be related
to some anomalous response from the drive hardware?

Just trying to figure out if taking care not to request mt status at the
wrong time might allow me to avoid the problem in the future.  All my mt
operations are manual at the console so this wouldn't be hard to do.