Date:      Sun, 6 Jun 1999 16:19:09 -0400
From:      John.Shue@symmetron.com (John A. Shue)
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SGI releases XFS to Open Source Community

A friend of mine (he's a Linux guy) pointed me to a recent article in InfoWorld about SGI
making an announcement at the Linux Expo.  SGI is going to release the code to XFS, SGI's
journaling, 64-bit filesystem.

SGI's press release: http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/1999/may/xfs.html

I just did a mail archive search on all the freebsd lists where I thought discussion of
this event would be.  I was surprised to find nothing relevant.  (Although, I did find a
few emails from Nov. '96 and also a few from Apr. '97 saying they wish FreeBSD had XFS).

Is FreeBSD going to wait for Linux to port XFS and run XFS under our Linux emulator?

Or is FreeBSD going to create a development group to port the XFS to FreeBSD?

-john

John A. Shue
4000 Legato Road, Suite 600
Fairfax, VA 22033