Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 14:23:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.Stanford.EDU>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Phil Homewood <philh@mincom.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: root shell/toor shell

vipw, as someone said.  With this you can insert a shell for toor;
it does seem (my apologies) that in recent incarnations FreeBSD
ships with a blank for toor's shell.  My 3.3 installation from
cdrom is that way, and so is my -current /usr/src/etc/master.passwd.
The result for me is that I can't use the toor account at all in
that condition.

passwd is the command you want to change the password, though.

Yes, reinstalling is a last resort.  An alternative is to create
another regular user with default dot files, and find out if the
behavior in that account is different from your usual login user.
That would indicate a difference in what files were getting read
on login or what was in them.

Annelise