Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 17:16:49 -0400
From:      Alex <xela@MIT.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   controlling where ports install?

Hi---

I'm fairly new to FreeBSD, coming from a mostly NetBSD background.
One thing NetBSD does that I like is that the package system
(ports in FreeBSD parlance) installs into a seperate path
(/usr/pkg) rather than into /usr/local/.  (Please no flames.  I
thought the NetBSD approach was stupid at first and just made
/usr/pkg a symlink to /usr/local.  After some experience I decided
the other way was better --- having stuff I've installed by hand
segregated from stuff installed by the package system has IMHO its
merits.  YMMV.)

At any rate, I'm wondering whether the location where FreeBSD
installs ports can be set by some environment variable or other
straightforward mechanism?

Thanks in advance,

---Alex

Carl Alexander
------------- MIT (where Alex hangs out):
xela@mit.edu      Course VI (sometime special student)    SIPB (prospective)
                  Mitgaard ("honorary mold")    MITSFS    LSC (night worker)
                  http://www.mit.edu/~xela