Date:      Thu, 27 May 2004 19:35:41 +0100
From:      Robert Downes <nullentropy@lineone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install hangs with Toshiba 2.5" drive

nullentropy@lineone.net wrote:
> Running FreeBSD 5.0 installer, I see a few messages along the lines of
> "configured IRQ 3 is not in bitmap of irqs" and then the following pair
> of lines:
>
> ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
> ata0: resetting devices ..
>
> And then the system seems to jam, the drive light still on, and no
> further progress is made even after several minutes.

Solved it, thanks to the wisdom of the Web. A Google search and some
luck led me to the nugget that disabling DMA mode for the IDE drive (and
possibly disconnecting troublesome CD drives - but I didn't need to do
that) would stop the boot jamming.

So I've successfully installed FreeBSD on one machine (with a CD drive)
and run it on another (without).

Thank you to JJB and Joe for replying to me personally.
--
Bob