Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 1998 05:18:39 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        dburr@POBoxes.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Excessive crashing of Netscape?

> > I just installed Netscape (Communicator 4.04, the dynamically-linked
> > FreeBSD binary version) from the ports tree.
> > On the whole, it seems to work ok; however, sometimes the program dies
> > (for no apparent reason) with a SIGBUS.
>
> Do you have problems with other large programs dying randomly?  You could
> have some bad SIMMs.  I use netscrape 3.04 with no problems.

netscape is the program which crashes most on my FreeBSD machines
(i guess because i don't run any M$ stuff...). the last 'stable'
version i used was perhaps 2.XX, then both 3.XX (netscape and
netscape gold) and the communicator 4.XX often crash depending on
the content. For some time, i was reliably crashing netscape gold
whenever i tried to open the altavista page.
With the communicator 4 (which i almost immediately removed) the
phenomenon is particularly annoying due to the large memory
footprint...

	cheers
	luigi