Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:20:17 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Lane Holcombe" <lane@joeandlane.com>
To:        "Kevin Kinsey" <k_a_kinsey@netzero.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd and firewalls -- follow up

Well it didn't work.

I used "setenv FTP_PASSIVE_MODE no" and retried "make all "
in /usr/ports/samba but I only got "Internal Server Error".

Then I tried with FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=yes and got the same error.

At some point I logged out and then back in and retried with my
unchanged environment.  To my surprise I received a "Login:" prompt
after the third "Internal Server Error" (This was the third source host
in the Makefile list).  I entered "anonymous" because I assumed it was
the remote server and NOT my proxy server.  Then I was prompted
with "password:" so I entered that.  Then I got "Internal Server Error"
and I have not been able to reproduce that.

How frustrating.

> As I understand it from fetch(3), FTP passive move can be controlled
by
> the environment variable FTP_PASSIVE_MODE.  When this variable is
> anything but "no" then ftp passive mode is enforced.  Otherwise it is
> not.
>
> I thought that meant that if the variable exists then Passive mode is
> enforced but that it it did not exist then passive mode was controlled
> by command line or not enforced.  But it seems like you are saying
that
> FreeBSD ALWAYS uses passive mode unless you specifically turn it off.
>
> I will try that first thing tomorrow and see what happens.
>
> Thanks for the tip.  I'll let you know if it changes things.
>
> lane (holcombe)
> > In FBSD, default is passive mode, which doesn't work
> > behind many fw's and/or NAT setups.  So....
> >
> > elisha#ftp
> > ftp>passive
> > Passive Mode Off.
> > ftp>open ftp.freebsd.org