Date:      Mon, 4 Apr 2005 08:22:20 +0200
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@freebsd.org>
To:        Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
Cc:        "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Handbook: 16.7 Creating and Using Optical Media (DVDs)

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 04:57:44PM -0500, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> On Sunday 03 April 2005 16:35, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> > On 2005.04.03 16:00:27 -0500, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> > > I've come across some data DVDs that require me to do:
> > > mount_cd9660  -s 0 /dev/acd0 /cdrom  where /dev/acd0 is my
> > > DVD-ROM and /cdrom is the mount-point (obviously)
> >
> > It sounds more like a bug in the cd9660 fs to me, or is known that
> > it can't be fixed?
>
> The -s switch is documented in the mount_cd9660 man page.  There are
> no examples that are specific to DVD's in the man page however.
>
> There are no PR's for this issue that I can find.  It is odd though, I
> can't be the first person to ever mount a data DVD.  There are
> several posts in the -questions archives but none of them seem to
> get the issue resolved.

If you need to pass "special" option to mount a data DVD/CD, it means
the filesystem on the media has some "issues" or is not really
"compliant".  This should be marginal.
If we need to document it, we just have to update a bit the mount_cd9660
manual page to say that issue is media independant and -s 0 may be
required by some "weird" data CD/DVD/whatever that refuse to be mounted.

Marc