Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 07:12:44 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed

Greg Lehey wrote:

> From the sublime to the ridiculous.  EDLIN was just a toy, built long
> after some useful but arcane editors were well-known.
>
> Anybody use teco?

We had it on the DEC-10 at Weber, but it didn't work well with the
TeleWidget terminals we had.  Apparently the computing center folks
couldn't be bothered to install the TVI912 terminal drivers for it.
We all just used sos, which was a reasonable line editor, and even
understood how to properly number COBOL and BASIC programs for you.

The odd thing about sos is that it used ESC to separate commands
from parameters, like search and replace strings.  It meant you
could search and replace any printable character, though.