Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2017 00:51:18 -0800
From:      Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
To:        Maxim Konovalov <maxim.konovalov@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Kernel@dragonflybsd.org,  tech-misc@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Objections to converting bsd-family-tree to a dot file

> Show Me The Money!

See examples at the bottom

>     How easy would it be to render something like the existing
bsd-family-tree, e.g. something that is reasonably intelligent when
viewed with more(1) or less(1) with the same basic information that
it has now?

Pretty easy. Examples below. Note its just a first draft. That said, I
did find several unconnected nodes: some of which are corrected in
this version.

> Also, would rendering it be something that can reasonably
be done while building the system, or would it need to be pre-rendered
and the result checked into the SCM (keep in mind that NetBSD's
build.sh is portable, i.e. you can build NetBSD on Windows if you
feel like it)?

It'll likely be easier to check it to the repo. It can be done
reasonably portably using graphviz, but its not likely worth it.

>> Any objections? It isn't used for much beyond documentation so
>> changing the format isn't expected to cause any negative effects.
>>
> Today it is very simple plaintext thing.  For me, the complexity will
> overweight the value of this file.

It isn't really complex:
https://people.freebsd.org/~eadler/files/family-tree/by-hand-1.dot.txt
https://people.freebsd.org/~eadler/files/family-tree/