Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 22:36:35 -0500
From:      Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Cc:        shanon loveridge <shanon_loveridge@yahoo.co.uk>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk1.3.1p5

Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org> wrote:
> that it's not clear to me or that I'm not getting the necessary feedback from
> folks in the community that indicate that native threading is important
> both of these technically and legally reasons from the luke warm responses
> I get from folks.

I can speak only on behalf of me and the companies I try to deploy
FreeBSD at as, in some cases, Java application servers -- native
threading is *Very* important... and further I appreciate all the work
you guys are doing towards this.

I'd contribute directly to the project if I knew how, but, as it stands
the best you can expect from me are bug reports when I find them.

But rest assured there are a lot of us out here trying to run FreeBSD as
a good Java platform, and we're actually doing it in production
scenarios, despite the gap between BSD and Linux in this regard.

But without HotSpot we can't scale as cheaply.

Cheers,

--
  Dylan Carlson (absinthe@pobox.com)