Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 2009 17:10:42 -0400
From:      PJ <af.gourmet@videotron.ca>
To:        Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I hate to bitch but bitch I must

Manolis Kiagias wrote:
> PJ wrote:
>
>> Manolis, my state of mind is quite clear... and I'm coping with
>> everything quite allright... I'm not about to get mad at anyone or
>> anything...
>> but tell me, honestly, when you see the stuff I have described above?
>> Woldn't that confuse anyone in their right mind?
>>

> I am sorry, but there is something here, either some mistake on your
> part or some other weird problem on your system I can not think of.
>
> I don't seem to remember glabel ever failing to store metadata, unless
> 1) The device is non-existing 2) The device is mounted.
> As a matter of fact, I did the glabel stuff on a machine a few hours
> ago. This was already fully installed, I rebooted single user and was
> done in less than 2 minutes.
> And yes, if you get a metadata error, it means nothing was done so you
> are *not* to go and change fstab!
>
> Could you  please send us /etc/fstab and the results of ls /dev/ad*

Here are the outputs:

fstab:
# Device        Mountpoint    FStype    Options        Dump    Pass#
/dev/ad12s1b        none        swap    sw        0    0
/dev/ad12s1a        /        ufs    rw        1    1
/dev/ad12s1h        /backups    ufs    rw        2    2
/dev/ad12s1g        /home        ufs    rw        2    2
/dev/ad12s1d        /tmp        ufs    rw        2    2
/dev/ad12s1f        /usr        ufs    rw        2    2
/dev/ad12s1e        /var        ufs    rw        2    2
/dev/acd0        /cdrom        cd9660    ro,noauto    0    0
linproc  /usr/compat/linux/proc linprocfs rw 0 0

df:
Filesystem   1K-blocks    Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad12s1a   2026030  319112  1544836    17%    /
devfs                1       1        0   100%    /dev
/dev/ad12s1h  50777034       4 46714868     0%    /backups
/dev/ad12s1g  50777034 6276538 40438334    13%    /home
/dev/ad12s1d   4058062      36  3733382     0%    /tmp
/dev/ad12s1f  50777034 5729324 40985548    12%    /usr
/dev/ad12s1e   2026030  176070  1687878     9%    /var
linprocfs            4       4        0   100%    /usr/compat/linux/proc

# ls /dev/ad*
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  97 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad0
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 103 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad0s1
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 101 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad10
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 106 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad10s1
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 121 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad10s1a
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 122 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad10s1b
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 123 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad10s1c
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 124 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad10s1d
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 125 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad10s1e
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 126 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad10s1f
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 127 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad10s1g
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 102 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad12
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 107 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad12s1
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 128 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad12s1a
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 129 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad12s1b
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 130 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad12s1c
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 131 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad12s1d
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 132 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad12s1e
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 133 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad12s1f
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 134 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad12s1g
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 135 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad12s1h
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  99 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad4
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 104 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad4s1
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 108 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad4s1a
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 109 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad4s1b
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 110 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad4s1c
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 111 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad4s1d
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 112 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad4s1e
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 113 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad4s1f
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 114 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad4s1g
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 100 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad6
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 105 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad6s1
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 115 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad6s1a
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 116 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad6s1b
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 117 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad6s1c
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 118 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad6s1d
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 119 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad6s1e
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0, 120 Oct 17 16:36 /dev/ad6s1f

Sorry, but I don't see what this is going to tell you... ad0 is XP; ad10
is minimal FreeBSD 7.2; ad12 is 7.2 on 500gb; ad4 is 7.2 on 80gb; and
ad6 is messed up FBSD I'm cheking & setting up with clone of ad12
(dump/restore)
Now I will try the glabel again...
# shutdown now
# glabel label rootfs /dev/ad12s1a
glabel: Can't store metadata on /dev/ad0s1a

manual: "it is assumed that a single ATA disk is used, which is
currently recognized by the system as ad0. It is also assumed that the
standard FreeBSD partition scheme is used, with /, /var, /usr and /tmp
file systems, as well as a swap partition."

Now, does that mean that glabel does not work if there are several disks
on the system... it certainly does not say so nor does it adv ertise
that this would not work if there are several ATA disks present..
Previously I had also tried a reboot press 4 with exactly the same
results....

So, what am I doing wrong... or where is the system screwed up... from
my point of view, everything seems to work ok including Firefox,
flashplugin, Openoffice, gimp, netbeans, etc. etc. etc. even conky... :-)

Perhaps this is just a frustrating mental exercise as the system works
without glabeling partitions... it just would save some work if it could
be implemented... then, if I were to look at it as a businessman... why
am I wasting so much time, energy and mental suffering when just
changing a few files will do the same thing and take less effort...
ohhhhh! what price intellectual curiosity..... ;-)