Date:      Tue, 5 May 2020 11:59:59 +0200
From:      Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt@burggraben.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Out of memory building lang/ghc-8.8.3

## andrew clarke (mail@ozzmosis.com):

> Beware anyone building lang/ghc-8.8.3 from the ports tree. Building it
> here on FreeBSD 12.1-REL AMD64 with Poudriere, the build ran out of swap,
> despite the PC having 8 GB RAM, 8 GB swap and not much else running.

I believe they sell phones with that amount of RAM these days, but
they don't run ZFS on that phone as it's a "resource-constrained
environment".

ghc may eat quite some RAM (>2GB per process are not unheard of),
you might have better luck if you don't use these:

> USE_TMPFS=yes
> ALLOW_MAKE_JOBS=yes
> PARALLEL_JOBS=8

tmpfs uses your already scarce memory, and ALLOW_MAKE_JOBS will almost
certainly run multiple ghc processes at the same time (it does so here).

Regards,
Christoph

--
Spare Space