Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:57:41 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@jcdurham.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE Sound, etc

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 02:08:20PM -0400, Jim Durham wrote:
> Has anyone had success with the sound and multimedia support on KDE2.2
> with FreeBSD?

No problems here!

> The only way I've been able to get most applications to run is to shut down
> the "artsd" server, which opens the dsp port and won't let timidity, etc ,
> open it. Gqmpeg has the same problem.

This is a FAQ.  I belive that artsd will release the dsp port after a minute
of inactivity.  What sound card are you using?  If it does not support
multiple playback channels, you might be able to use the 'vchan' feature
of the pcm driver.  Also, some applications can be configured to talk to
the artsd process.

> The movie player "aktion" doesn't work at all on my system. I can get xmovie
> to play MPEG movies.
>
> What happened to "esd" ? is "artsd" a replacement?

artsd is the esd of KDE.  If you prefer esd, you can disable artsd from
the KDE control panel, then load esd instead via some startup script.

Scott