Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 21:38:04 -0800
From:      David Syphers <dbsypher@uchicago.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   apache won't start

On a fresh 4.2-R system, ipfw configured but everything allowed for
lo0.  The system is _not_ connected to the internet at this point.  I
installed apache 1.3.14 from the ports collection.  The only thing I
changed in httpd.conf was ServerName, setting it to "127.0.0.1" since this
I'm just using this for local testing right
now.  '/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start' results in the oh-so-useful 'httpd
could not be started' message.  The syntax of the conf files checks out
okay.  I looked at FreeBSD.layout in /usr/ports/www/apache13 and it looked
reasonable, looked at httpd -V and it looked reasonable
('HTTPD_ROOT="/usr/local"' and httpd is expected in
"etc/apache/httpd.conf", which is where it is).  Apache's error log file
says "... [alert] mod_unique_id: unable to
getbyhostname("cerberus.seektruth.org")".  Obviously it wouldn't be able to
do anything with my hostname since I'm not on the internet.  What is it
trying to do and why?

I looked at the mailing list archives for this question because I think the
same thing happened to me a year ago, the last time I tried to install
apache.  Many people asked about this, few got replies.  I checked things
the few replies mentioned: looked at the apachectl script, checked log
paths, checked ServerName, checked located vs. expected location for the
config files.  Nothing helped.

This system is out-of-the-box 4.2-R/apache 1.3.14 except for the fact that
I have ipfw (halfway) configured.  However, everything is allowed for lo0,
and ipfw shouldn't mess at all with just _starting_ apache.  Suggestions
would be much appreciated.  I would very much like to move SeekTruth.org
from my WinNT laptop to a dedicated FreeBSD server  :)

Please cc: to me, I'm not on -questions.

-David