Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 17:10:27 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dual 400 -> dual 600 worth it?

At 10:45 AM 12/15/1999 , David Scheidt wrote:

>HP aren't so bad about that.  They do use a proprietary disk enclosure
>system, but it is very nice, and we did look at other systems.   Equivelent
>systems weren't much cheaper, and didn't have as good guarantees about
>long-term replacement part availability.  If a system has a design life-time
>of seven years, you want to be sure you can get spares in 6.5!  (You can, of
>course, stockpile them yourself, but there are non-trivial costs involved
>with that.  )

HP is the very WORST manufacturer when it comes to out-of-warranty service.
Costs to do anything more than routine maintenance on any product that's
no longer shipping are designed to exceed the replacement cost. They once
wanted to charge me $350 for -- believe it or not -- a KEYCAP! (They wouldn't
send it without charging me for a whole new keyboard.) In fact, in many cases,
they just WILL NOT SELL PARTS. I'll never buy a printer or laptop from them
again due to such policies.

--Brett Glass