Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:09:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeremy Nelson <jnelson@epicsol.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jwvehrs@netzero.net
Subject:   Re: what's the best color in xterm background for ur eyes??

In article <20001011190216.A49667@hydrogen.vehrs.org> you posted:
>I'd like to know which color is the best for your eyes in xterm background?
>Some color can strain ur eyes, but which one is good for ur eyes without any
>straining?

As others have said, there are too many variables to give you an answer.
The only reasonable suggestion is that you need to try a bunch of different
color combinations and see which work the best for you.  The condition of
your eyes, the monitor you use, the video card you have, the lighting around
you, all play an effect on which colors will cause the least eye strain.

With that being said, I generally use the 'fixed' font, on a 21 inch monitor
at 1024x768 resolution becuase that is the only combination I can come up
with where I can get two 80 column xterm's side by side on the screen.
I have changed the emulator, the colors, and the font so much, trying to
find the perfect combination, that i have just virtualized the whole thing
in my .xinitrc so that I can change with a minimum of pain.  Here is the
bottom of my ~/.xinitrc

fgc=black
bgc=gray
fn="fixed"
emul=xterm

     $emul -fn $fn -sb -fg $fgc -bg $bgc -geometry 80x46-3+25 &
     $emul -fn $fn -sb -fg $fgc -bg $bgc -geometry 80x44-4+48 &
     $emul -fn $fn -sb -fg $fgc -bg $bgc -geometry 80x48-5+3 &
     $emul -fn $fn -sb -fg $fgc -bg $bgc -geometry 80x52+2+25 &
     $emul -fn $fn -sb -fg $fgc -bg $bgc -geometry 80x50+2+47 &
exec $emul -fn $fn -sb -fg $fgc -bg $bgc -geometry 80x53+1+2 -T login

Note that on my current vga card (a permidia 3d labs 8 meg card), the
colors are lighter than they were on my old card (an stb-branded s3virge
of some sort).  On the s3virge, i used gray80 (204,204,204) as my background
color, and on this permidia 3d labs card, i use straight gray (190,190,190)
to acheive the same color.  Given my configuration, black (0,0,0) on gray is
the least straining combination I have come up with.  Your mileage will vary.

Oh, and -- always take a break from looking at your monitor every couple of
minutes or so -- even if it's just for microglances to focus on something
else.  Failure to do that seems to cause everybody trouble.  Being able to
type without looking is a great help, since you can compose your thoughts
in your mind and then spend the time typing looking at the world around you. =)

Jeremy