Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 2019 22:04:48 -0700
From:      Conrad Meyer <cem@freebsd.org>
To:        Rebecca Cran <rebecca@bsdio.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Building world with gcc9 not working

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 8:25 PM Rebecca Cran <rebecca@bsdio.com> wrote:

> Is building world with gcc still supported? I'm getting an error running
> the following:
>
> make XCC=3D/usr/local/bin/gcc9 XCXX=3D/usr/local/bin/g++9 buildworld

Hi Rebecca,

Aspirationally, yes.  I did a successful CROSS_TOOLCHAIN=3Damd64-gcc
buildworld earlier this week.  (It doesn't play well with binary pkg's
built with Clang, so I ended up replacing it with a Clang-built world
instead, but it compiled.)

Unfortunately, amd64-xtoolchain-gcc is stuck on GCC 6.4.0, while
you're running the much more recent GCC9.  I think GCC6.4.0 is more or
less expected to build world today, but I don't think many people are
building with GCC9.  I would love for amd64-xtoolchain to move to a
newer version, but I don't know what is blocking that =E2=80=94 it seems li=
ke
it should be straightforward.

Best regards,
Conrad