Date:      Tue, 13 May 2003 09:25:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <m_evmenkin@yahoo.com>
To:        Takanori Watanabe <takawata@init-main.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bluetooth Interoperability ?

Hello Takanori,

> I do connect two FreeBSD system with rfcomm_pppd,

good :)

> But I have never succeeded to use Windows XP LAN service from
> FreeBSD Bluetooth

just to verify. you are saying that WinXP actually *provides* LAN server,
right? WinXP actually acts as a *server*? i've never seen this before.

anyway, if WinXP *is* providing LAN service than WinXP should answer SPD
(Service Discovery Procotol). could you please compile "sdp-1.0rc3" package
from snapshot's ports/ directory and then then do

# sdptool browse <WIN_XP_BD_ADDR>

if this gives no output then you could try

# sdptool search --bdaddr=<WIN_XP_BD_ADDR> LAN

depending on you Bluetooth security settings you may need to setup link keys
or pin codes in hcsecd(8).

this should give you RFCOMM channel number. then you should try to run
rfcomm_pppd(8) in *client* mode and try to open connection to the WinXP
BD_ADDR and RFCOMM channel. i have no idea how to configure PPP *server*
on your WinXP/Bluetooth software.

> and FreeBSD LAN service served by rfcomm_pppd from Windows98.

1) you need to run "sdpd" (from sdp-1.0rc3 package) on your FreeBSD box.

2) you need to register LAN service with sdpd on your FreeBSD box

   # sdptool add --channel=<RFCOMM_channel_number> LAN

3) verify local SDP database and make sure you see LAN service.

   # spdtool browse ff:ff:ff:00:00:00

4) run rfcomm_pppd(8) in server mode on the RFCOMM channel you have specified
   in the local SDP database

5) depending on you Bluetooth security settings you may need to setup link
   keys/pin codes in hcsecd(8).

6) run Windows software and do "inquiry" - discover devices in range.

7) click on FreeBSD device and verify that you see LAN service icon.

8) click on the LAN icon and enter you PPP username and password (as
   configured on FreeBSD side).

NOTE: be careful when configuring PPP on FreeBSD side. check your 'default'
      section in ppp.conf file. *all* commands in the 'defaults' section
      gets executed *before* you rfcomm PPP section.

> The Windows side of bluetooth stack is made by AIPTEK.
>
> How can I use the bluetooth LAN service from/to Windows?

see above. i have tested my code with 3COM, Xircom and WIDCOMM stacks on w2k.

if nothing above works. than could you please compile and install "hcidump"
package from snapshot ports/ directory and then run it

# hcidump -x

than try to connect from windows and send me the output.

thanks,
max