Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 15:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/22328: new port -- print/ttf2pt1

The following reply was made to PR ports/22328; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To: Eddie Kohler <eddietwo@naugabutt.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc: Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, mi@aldan.algebra.com, okazaki@be.to,
	freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, mi@privatelabs.com,
	"ttf2pt1-devel@lists.sourceforge.net" <ttf2pt1-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 18:24:19 -0400

 Eddie Kohler wrote:

 > Hi Mike et al,
 >
 > I'm interested in the fixes in this branched version of t1utils. If someone
 > maintaining ttf2pt1 or whatever could send me the relevant t1asm.c, great.

 There are no new fixes compared to the root branch of t1asm.
 The only thing that was done is proper handling of the last
 cleartomark, and this was done to mimic the native t1asm (in early
 t1asm it was added automatically and the un-encoded font was
 expected to have no such directive). Other changes have been done
 to compile t1asm into the ttf2pt1 binary and are ifdef-ed, I think
 they are of no general interest.

 > I suggest that the merged t1asm should live in the t1utils package because
 > it came from there originally and isn't ttf-specific.

 The reasons why t1asm is included into ttf2pt1 are historic:
 Mark Heath had on the ToDo list direct generation of encoded fonts,
 so I figured out that the simplest way to do it was piping the
 result to t1asm. And since there was no easy was to discover
 where t1asm would be installed, the simples thing was to compile
 it in. I don't particularly like that and maybe we should get rid
 of this hack and use external t1asm again.

 -SB