Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 23:34:31 -0500
From:      Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pr(1)

On Thu, Jan 08, 1998 at 09:58:53PM -0500, David E. Cross wrote:
> I noticed the following output when I used pr(1)...
> lptest | pr -2 -t -w40
>
> produces two colums of text, with a total width of 40 (as expected)...
>
> lptest | pr -1 -t -w40
>
> produces one column of text, with no change in the totals width... am I
> missing something?  (it is consistent across FreeBSD and Solaris)

According the the pr(1) man page, this is to be expected.

-w width
Set the width of the line to width column positions for multiple
text-column output only.

Notice the words `multiple text-column output only'. You specified a
single column, therefore you disabled `-w' option.

What are you attempting to accomplish? Perhaps there is another
way of achieving what you want....

--
Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.