Date:      Sat, 25 Feb 2012 23:03:58 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Installing Samsung CLX-2160 color laser printer on USB using CUPS

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 16:55:36 -0500, Jerry wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 22:14:33 +0100
> Polytropon articulated:
>
> > I have a problem installing a Samsung CLX-2160 color
> > laser printer using CUPS. In the http://localhost:631
> > web-based configuration, none of the methods that are
> > supposed to be used for installing a printer works.
>
> USB sucks on FreeBSD.

In regards to some devices - yes, I fully agree.

> Sorry, I don't care who gets pissed off about
> that remark.

I don't. It's not the first time I get annoyed by USB. :-)

> Apparently, your printer only supports USB.

Sadly yes, it's the "no-letter" variant (no N for networked
or W for wireless). CUPS seems to be unable to detect that
printer even though it is connected (as I could print to it
without CUPS successfully). However, CUPS always seemed to
have some trouble with connected _local_ printers, I remember
that it was impossible to install a locally connected parallel
printer (needed for specific forms), and it was also impossible
to install a printer that's _currently_ not connected (even
though I knew all its paramters).

> If you have
> just purchased it, I might recommend returning it and getting one that
> is wireless ready.

No such deal, I got this printer as "payment" (others would
say, for free), just purchased new toner cartridges, and the
"press button and make a color copy" function works quite
well. As I've mostly used this printer as a "dull copier",
I thought I could _easily_ (in CUPS's terminology!) use it
as a printer. Ha ha. :-)

I _never_ would buy a USB printer, and I would also never
buy something that doesn't talk PS (or at least PCL).

> Believe me, you will appreciate the flexibility that
> offers.

Regular wired networking printer would have been fine too.
I use my HP Laserjet 4000 duplex that way - works like a
charm, out of the box, no fiddling with annoying details.
However, that HP is _office_ equipment, while the Samsung
is for living room use. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany