Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 1995 16:35:29 +0800 (WST)
From:      Terry Dwyer <tdwyer@netbsd08.dn.itg.telecom.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-questions@freefall.cdrom.com>
Subject:   PCI SCSI controller - which one should I buy?

I'm about to upgrade to a DX4 PCI motherboard and I wondered if anyone
has any preference for one of the following controllers:

  PCI Fast SCSI				  PCI fast wide SCSI
BT946C 	VS  AHA-2940			BT956C  VS  AHA-2940W

I have to choose one of these controllers for my FreeBSD box and I would
really like to know if any of them is _not_ supported by or has problems
with 2.0.5R

The hardware section of the FAQ web page does not mention the BT956C.
Has this changed recently?
It also qualifies the AHA294X as only being supported by "2.X-current only".
Does this mean the wide version is supported by 2.0.5R?

If all of them are supported, I would have a preference for the BusLogic card
on principle, (better support for free OSes), and from experience.  I
have a BT445S in my VLB motherboard at the moment and I have been very
pleased with it's reliability and performance.

Further, my preference is for the fast wide Buslogic controller; I'd like
to futureproof my hardware.  I am getting a Seagate Barracuda to hang off
the controller as well, should this be a problem?

If anyone can help in pointing out problems, bad BIOS revisions etc I
should be aware of, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

   _-_|\    Terry Dwyer 	  E-Mail: tdwyer@netbsd08.dn.itg.telecom.com.au
  /     \   System Administrator  Phone: +61 9 491 5161     Fax: +61 9 221 2631
  *_.^\_/   Telecom Australia     Telstra Corporation       MIME capable mailer
       v    Perth  WA                 ( I do not speak for Telstra or Telecom )