Date:      Sun, 08 Mar 1998 17:57:20 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/sys reboot.h src/sys/i386/i386 autoconf.c

> Does this mean that /dev will be cleaned in the future to remove the
> offending device names?  Everything that I have tried, like disklabel
> accept /dev/sd1 and /dev/sd1s1c.  disklabel gives (proper?) different
> information for different arguments.

No, as the device names aren't "offending"

xdN[a-h]	refers to partitions on a dedicated disk.
xdNsM[a-h]	refers to partitions within a slice.

This is the way it was always meant to be.  There was a problem
initially that made it difficult to determine at the appropriate level
*which* slice was the right one, so the assumption was made that it
should be the first one.  Because of the way this misfeature was
implemented, the convention was established that xdNa would always be
the first partition (in the first slice) on the disk.

This is bogus, and makes life very difficult for software which has to
attempt to establish the equality between xdNa and xdNsMa.

In the short term (2.2, 3.0 prior to the DEVFS/SLICE changeover), the
compatability slice cruft will probably remain, in order to avoid
violating POLA.  All that has been changed here is that the kernel will
now explicitly mount the partition in the booted slice.

With a little extra work, this would allow you to boot correctly from
*any* slice, not just the first, BIOS restrictions notwithstanding.

> I have:
>
> /dev/sd1        /dev/sd1e       /dev/sd1s1a     /dev/sd1s1f     /dev/sd1s4
> /dev/sd1a       /dev/sd1f       /dev/sd1s1b     /dev/sd1s1g
> /dev/sd1b       /dev/sd1g       /dev/sd1s1c     /dev/sd1s1h
> /dev/sd1c       /dev/sd1h       /dev/sd1s1d     /dev/sd1s2
> /dev/sd1d       /dev/sd1s1      /dev/sd1s1e     /dev/sd1s3
>
> If I only had sd1s[a-h] then it would be less confusing.

DEVFS is your friend.  Device entries for partitions come and go as
they are created/deleted.  Have a little patience, and all will make
sense.