Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:41:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Argument by Authority"

<<On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 05:48:31 +0200 (SAT), Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com> said:

> | COMPATIBILITY
> |      The rm utility differs from historical implementations in that
> |      the -f option only masks attempts to remove non-existent
> |      files instead of masking a large variety of errors.

I went down to our reading room and examined 1003.2.  It says quite
clearly that `-f' has ONLY the following two effects:

	1) Suppress warnings for non-existent files specified on the
	   command line.

	2) Suppress interaction when removing an unwritable file even
	   when standard input is connected to a terminal.

It specifically requires that diagnostics be generated for any errors
resulting from unlink() or rmdir().  (The rationale dismisses the
historic behavior by describing it as ``hardly doing a service to
either shell programmers or interactive users''.)

The synopsis given is:

	rm [-firR] file ...

...which indicates that at least one `file' argument is required.  It
also indicates that `-f' and `-i' are not mutually exclusive.
Furthermore, 1003.2 prohibits our `-d' flag; `rm' is always required
to call rmdir() when a directory is specifed on the command line.

-GAWollman