Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 11:33:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Adam Szilveszter <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        "Andy V. Oleynik" <andyo@prime.net.ua>
Cc:        jeroyce@ualr.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: users can't login after make world

Hi!

> > Hi all,
> >         I did an upgrade from 3.1-stable to 3.2-stable and now my
> > users
> > can't login. When I logged in as root it didn't ask for a
> > password and
> > when  I try to login as a user it gives me the 'Login
> > incorrect' error.
> > vipw shows that the users exist but when I try "passwd user"
> > it says the
> > user is unknown. Any help on how to fix this would be
> > greatly appreciated.
> > When replying please cc to this email address.
I have had the same problem with bash as the login shell for ordinary
users. But apart from the tools mentioned by the others in this thread it
was also necessary to install the new port of bash from the ports because
it also changed a minor version number (or so it seems to me) and the
older version was no longer accepted as a standard shell. (it happened
when I
upgraded from 3.1-RELEASE to -STABLE on May 4th) Luckily I did not change
root's shell so there was no problem with that.

Maybe this one also helps...

Regards:
          Szilveszter

          Szeged University