Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2012 16:53:23 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        leeoliveshackelford@surewest.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8.2 Add second hard drive multi-boot

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 09:59:19AM -0700, leeoliveshackelford@surewest.net =
wrote:

You need to put the FreeBSD boot manager on both disks.
Use bootcfg.

////jerry=20

> Good morning, FreeBSD enthusiasts.  On my Hewlett-Packard xw4400 workstat=
ion, I had one hard drive.  I partitioned it with two slices, the first one=
 for FreeBSD 8.2 with its native file system, and the second one for a futu=
re re-installation of Windows XP, to be formatted with NTFS file system.  F=
reeBSD 8.2 was then installed.  The Windows XP re-installation has not yet =
taken place.  Recently, I installed a second hard drive on the machine that=
 was already formatted with two slices, both NTFS.  Already installed on th=
e first of these slices is the Windows XP operating system with a special a=
pplication program.  Already installed on the second slice is data.  It is =
my understanding that the FreeBSD loader is supposed to be able to load any=
 operating system.  Upon power-up, the FreeBSD loader presents the followin=
g screen: =20
>=20
> F1 Win
> F2 FreeBSD
> F5 Drive 1
> F6 PXE
>=20
> If I depress F1, I receive the response "BOOTMGR is missing.  Press Ctrl+=
Alt+Del to restart."  If I depress F2, FreeBSD loads normally.  If I depres=
s F5, I receive the response "Missing operatin system."  How can I get the =
FreeBSD loader to load the Windows XP operating system from the second hard=
 drive?  The G.P.T. disklabel is not used by either of these operating syst=
ems, so I do not believe that that is the problem.  Although the FreeBSD op=
erating system seems to see the second hard drive, it does not mount it upo=
n startup.  It does not appear in the fstab file.  I attempted to mount it =
manually using the mount command, without success, just to see if any of th=
e data files could be read.  I ran fsidk -B on the zeroeth sector of the se=
cond hard drive, but that did not seem to help.  I know that this type of i=
ssue comes up repeatedly in the mailing lists, some of which I have read, b=
ut I am flummoxed.  Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.  Your tru=
ly, Lee Shackelfo