Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 1997 01:37:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        spork@super-g.com, mark@grondar.za, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hard Disk Repair

On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> Vincent Poy stands accused of saying:
> >
> > 	How big is the drive that you had repaired?  I was offering to
> > provide a Disk Drive repair place a second identical drive for parts and
> > they told me that they couldn't fix it either.
>
> Depending on what actually happened to the unit, it may be completely
> unrepairable.

	Well, what happened is the FreeBSD partition was sorta corrupted
but the drive still worked so it was shipped FedEx to me to restore the
Data on the drive but FedEx damaged the Inductor on the circuit board when
it arrived here so the circuit board was fixed but the head just won't
move.

> Seriously, Vince; you should dump the disk and restore from your
> backups.  I don't know where to start in enumerating the things that
> could make a 'headcrashed' disk BER; you could have lost all or part
> of the servo surface, you could have pocked the disk surface (so that when
> you start the reassembled disk, it will rip the head off the first time it
> goes past), you could have lost the sector forwarding map or the on-disk
> configuration information (so that the controller will error out on
> intialisation)... the list just goes on and on...

	I know what you mean but couldn't the drive be fixed (this is a 9
gig drive so it isn't cheap), if I provide another identical working drive
for parts that Seagate supplied?

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]