Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 13:39:17 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        Stephen Cass <s.cass@ieee.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IEEE Journalist looking for facts about Microsoft use of BSDcode

Just thought of this ...
I seem to remember fyodor (http://www.insecure.org) stating in one of
his explanations on the working of nmap, that win95, win98 and win NT
displayed reactions to probing that were almost identical to FreeBSD -
to the degree that his conclusion was that these products must be using
the same code as FreeBSD. I don't remember exactly where it was on the
site, so you'll have to hunt ... another option is to contact fyodor
directly (fyodor@insecure.org)
Keep in mind that without contacting someone at Microsoft it will be
difficult to prove, since the software license on the FreeBSD code would
allow Microsoft (or any company) to use the code, resell it and never
give credit to the original source.

Please be sure to send us all a link to your article when it's ready.

-Bill

--
If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,
then what can I get for two hands in the bush?