Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 19:37:24 -0500
From:      Peter Schwenk <peterschwenk@home.com>
To:        "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@nwu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pppd worked this morning!?

User PPP (man ppp) is a billion times easier to setup than kernel, plus it's
got a ton of good features (NAT, packet filtering, etc.).  I would set that
up, if I were you.  There are example setup files in
/usr/share/examples/ppp.  Plus, there's a good tutorial on setting it up at
http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/index.html.  I used it with my external
ISDN terminal adapter (looked like a regular modem from the perspective of
the computer) and set it up for demand-dialing.  It was very cool.

"David J. Kanter" wrote:

> I installed FreeBSD 3.4 yesterday, added myself to the network group, and
> was able to use mutt, slrn, and netscape. But later on today, for some
> reason, pppd stopped working.
>
> The modem call goes through, and ifconfig ppp0 shows an ip address and
> netmask value, but if I run fetchmail or netscape nothing happens. I'm
> using Windows now, so I know it's not the ISP.
>
> My connect script is the usual kernel ppp thing:
>
> pppd /dev/cuaa4 115200 connect '<chatscript>' user username
>
> And my disconnect script is killall -9 pppd. Could that be an issue?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Dave

- Peter Schwenk
- peterschwenk@home.com