Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 19:45:56 -0700
From:      "Jeff Lush" <jeff@nerdpower.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:    Help with a bad hard disk

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can offer some assistance with a bad IDE disk running
FreeBSD 3.4. The disk is a Western Digital Caviar 1.6 GB and is the
secondary drive on a PPro 200. The machine was accidently powered off and
now whenever the machine boots, the kernel stops and  I need to run fsck
manually, when I run fsck manually, it says:

w1s1e: hard error reading fsbn3016199 of 3016176-3016287 (w1s1 bn 3016199;
cn 748 to 4 sn 11) (status59(rdy,seekdone,drg,err) error 40<uncorr>)
/dev/rwd1s1e: CANNOT READ: BLK 3016176

I have run the diagnostic software from Western Digital and it says to
return the drive for warranty, but I was hoping someone might know of a
trick or have some advice on how to make her work or at least pull the data
off.

If there is anymore info I can provide, please let me know.

Thanks for the help,

Jeff Lush