Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 2009 02:03:49 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        perryh@pluto.rain.com
Cc:        tajudd@gmail.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to create a DVD backup filesystem?

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:14:08 -0800, perryh@pluto.rain.com wrote:
> > You can always try to tar it up directly
> >
> > tar -czf /dev/acd0 ~kline/ ~devel/
>
> Does it actually work to write to a burner without intervention by
> the likes of cdrecord or burncd?  If so, should it also be possible
> to burn an existing .iso by something like
>
>   dd if=cd1.iso of=/dev/acd0 bs=64b

1st: On FreeBSD, using direct write calls would involve the ATAPICAM
facility, so /dev/cd0 instead of /dev/acd0 would be the correct device.

2nd: I'm not sure this works on FreeBSD, but I remember having used
something similar on a SCSI CD recorder on a Sun or SGI system. I'm
not sure which one it was, but it allowed to handle CDs the same way
as other SCSI devices, like tape drives.

You could try it out by loading the ATAPICAM subsystem (via kldload
or compiled into kernel) and then try one of the commands above.
I'm not sure dd works, but tar should. But to be honest, I've never
tried it out because I'm very comfortable with cdrecord and cdrdao,
and was with burncd in the past.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany