Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 08:14:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        potok@friko.onet.pl (Mariusz Potocki)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: amd automounter question

In a previous message, Mariusz Potocki said:
> I recently configured amd to automount my cdrom drive.
> Work ok but at startup it causes modem in other machine that works as my
> gateway to Internet to dial out.
> If I kill ppp process on gateway, amd wait about 40 sec before activating.
> Is it some DNS lookup? And how to avoid it?
> I also installed amd on other, standalone machine with it's own modem and
> have no similar troubles.

It sounds like a dns query. When I set up amd to automount the cdrom, I used
localhost as a mount point.

Other ways to avoid it would be to make sure that the host is in the /etc/hosts
file correctly, and the that you look in hosts before dns (host.conf)

> BTW.
> Is it possible to umount cdrom on pressing eject button on drive?

Don't know. If you can tie amq to the button push, then maybe.

> Mariusz
>               "verba volant,
>                      scripta manent"

"One must separate from anything that forces one to repeat No again
 and again."    --Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)