Date:      Tue, 8 Feb 2005 10:15:59 -0600
From:      John <john@starfire.mn.org>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using FreeBSD to migrate Windows XP?

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 10:51:20AM -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> > OK - I've finally come to the realization (a little slow, I know)
> > that a 5.8Gb disk drive is just not enough to support a desktop
> > environment (including JAVA) for both Windows XP and FreeBSD on my
> > laptop. :(
> >
> > I have used dump(8) to dump out my filesystems.  I am wondering
> > if I can just use "dd" to dump out all of /dev/ad0s1 also,
> > and then use "dd" to put it back again when I'm done.  Then
> > I'd boot the installation CD into "fixit" mode, build a new
> > MBR, make sure that the new s1 was the same or very slightly larger
> > than the old s1, and use dd to put it back again.  Can anyone
> > speak to either the "doomed to failure" or "I've done this and
> > it works" scenarios?
>
> I presume that /dev/ad0s1 is your MS-DOS slice?
> I have never done this, but you might try using dump(8)
> and restore(8) to move it as well as the others.  I would
> trying dumping it somewhere and then restoring it somewhere
> harmless just to check first.   If you keep the old disk and
> do nothing to harm it, then you could try this to the new
> disk and if it works (eg Messy Dos works), fine.  If it doesn't
> work then you still have the original on the old disk to go
> back to and try something else.
>
> As you mention, make the slices and partitions on the new disk
> and put in the MBR.    Then do the restores.   You might need to
> do something to put in a MSDOS boot partition on the new S1 as well.

Well, it's NOT really an MS-DOS slice.  Winxp uses the NT filesystem,
NOT MS-DOS.

Dump cannot work on anthing other than UFS filesystems.  Dump
actually separately interprets the filesystem structure.  Consider, for
example, that dump works perfectly well on unmounted filesystems.
Dump is DRAMATICALLY different in its operation than tar, cpio, etc.
Since tar and others use the filesystem code, they don't care
what the underlying structure might be, BUT, they are also incapable
of collecting "foreign" information like SIDs and ACLs.
--

John Lind
john@starfire.MN.ORG