Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 1996 04:52:24 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: WARNING: proposed change to samba port

On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> Just a moment. I don't want to favour this installation
> hierarchie only for the ease of removal. Completely mistaken,
> that wasn't my intention. It makes it easy to see directly
> what programs, utilities, manpages and so on belong to the
> packages ... If you have to deal with a complete new package,
> let's say inn-1.4, then it's a big advantage to have everything
> in one place. It makes it easier to learn to use the package.

Inn goes in /usr/local/news.  The userland NFS utils and daemons live
with everybody else, and I see no reason why a utility set that provides
much of the same services should have its own dir structure.

> But another directory structure would make very easy to see,
> to what package it belongs.

For the most part I don't want to see it.  If I install it from the
packages/ports collection, chances are its not something I want to
bother with.  Hell, I don't back up /usr/local because its so
easy to do a pkg_add *.tgz if I have to reinstall.  On the other
hand, the local utils I have to fuss with have their source
trees in /usr/local/src, which I back up.  If I want to see what
files are used, I go there.

> > No, we just need a way to pull this up easily. pkg_info -L maybe?
> Ok, not bad.

To tell you the truth, I've never used the pkg_* utils much, except
for installing...

When was the last time you REMOVED something you had installed?  Usually
you have a reason for installing it and the only time you need to mess
with it is to upgrade it.  Most large software packages have their
own dirs in /usr/local/lib/foo.  The only things outside that are
the binaries, config files, and manual pages.

I'm not to eager to move to something like you suggest as its quite
similar (as you, or someone else mentioned) to the Solaris /opt/BIGmess
scheme.

Anyhow, this is very interesting argueing.  Maybe you can convince
me that there is merit to you scheme that I've yet to see. :)

Shall we discuss how the /etc/rc / sysconfig stuff needs to work
so packages can add their own config stuff next?

Have a good one.

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|