Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 17:14:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   reading a CD-RW device?

I'm running 3.1-RELEASE, and was going to use a 3.1-STABLE CD-RW to
upgrade from (after doing a make buildworld on a 3.1-STABLE
system). However, the 3.1-RELEASE CD-ROM drive fails to read the CD-RW
disk prepared on the 3.1-STABLE system.

Here's the appropriate export from dmesg:

	wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
	wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <QUANTUM LIGHTNING 730A>
	wd0: 696MB (1427328 sectors), 1416 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
	wdc0: unit 1 (atapi): <ATAPI CDROM/V2.10>, removable, accel, dma, iordy
	acd0: drive speed 4125KB/sec, 128KB cache
	acd0: supported read types: CD-R, CD-RW, CD-DA
	acd0: Audio: play, 255 volume levels
	acd0: Mechanism: ejectable tray
	acd0: Medium: CD-ROM 120mm data disc loaded, unlocked

The message from the system is "acd0: read_toc failed" when I try to
mount it. Further, I get the same error from commercial CD-ROMs until
I power cycle the drive after that, after which it can handle CD-ROMs
just fine. As a final note, under 3.0-RELEASE this drive worked fine
with CD-RWs.

Any suggestions would be a great deal of benefit, as the ability to
read CD-RW disks is important for the intended use of this machine.

	Thanx,
	<mike