Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:07:50 -0500
From:      Walter <walterk1@earthlink.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Mac can't connect to Internet

Success - kind of.

Recompiling the kernel using the instructions here:
   http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/kern.html
specifically:  make kernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL
yielded a compile error.
I tried again with the instructions here:
   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html
and it compiled and installed fine...

And it worked!  but only for a time.  As it happened, I
received a telephone call from someone who knows I
am trying to get FBSD running, and I (oh, so unwisely)
announced that it was working, for at that moment, I
had just power-cycled the cable-modem, moved the cable
connection over to the FBSD box while it was rebotting,
changed the Mac net config to talk to the FBSD box and
I was retieving various messages from a newsgroup just
fine.  I was also able to ping everything from a Mac terminal
session, even the outside world.

But, after several minutes I clicked to check my e-mail
and got an error saying it could find the mail server.  I
went back to the newsgroup to now get a similar "can't
find the server" error.  I could still ping the world.

Questions: What happened and what can I try to solve it?

Also, of curiosity: Why are not IPFIREWALL and
IPDIVERT included in the GENERIC kernel?

Thanks in advance.

Walter