Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:50:03 -0500
From:      Jed Clear <clear@alum.mit.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ex/vi: Error: Log file: No such file or directory (solved)

For the record[1]:

After a non OS drive hardware[2] failure I started getting the following
when trying to vi a file as a non root user:

	ex/vi: Error: Log file: No such file or directory

I spent time chasing a few other things since chunks of /var and /etc
were also missing[3].  However, I was ultimately forced to use the
source, Luke.  What I found was that my non root account had $TMPDIR set
to a directory that was on the defunct disk.

-Jed

[1] So Google will show up something less useless in the future.
[2] The second Maxtor Atlas 10K IV to fail on me.
[3] Possibly related to the SCSI controller aborting.