Date:      Sat, 26 Dec 2015 12:27:06 +0100
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
To:        Stanislav Galabov <sgalabov@gmail.com>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@pdx.rh.CN85.chatusa.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-mips@freebsd.org" <freebsd-mips@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mt7620 works!

On 26-12-2015 06:15, Stanislav Galabov wrote:

>>> Sort of informative, but the page refers to 'oldlzma'. Which I
>>> suspect is needed otherwise Uboot starts complaining about during
>>> decompressing and aborts.

Stanislav,

I indeed started used none as compression, which appeased the loader.
But getting it to boot is another issue.

Just loading it by letting uboot figure it out, does nog show/boot anything.
Which I now understand could be because the uart is differntly defined,
and as such does not work

>> Also I see in the page where some of the magic 0x80xxxxxx addresses
>> come from, but where did the magic number come from for these two
>> commands:
>>
>> tftpboot 0x80800000 DIR-620/kernel.oldlzma.uboot bootm 0x80800000
>>
> 0x80800000 is u-boot's default value for the loadaddr environment
> variable on some Ralink/Mediatek boards. This is the address which is
> used for loading stuff via tftp for example. In any case, it could be
> any valid memory address, which wouldn't cause overwriting u-boot
> itself while loading a file (kernel image in this case) via tftp.
> U-boot will then properly relocate the loaded file to the address
> inside the image header before booting the kernel as part of
> executing the bootm command. I guess the page author didn't think it
> was necessary to add this information...

That was the other thing I was wondering about. But I would expect that
all information in the header added by mkimage would do the trick and
make uboot do the "right" thing.
I works for the early version for MT7621 that you build.

--WjW