Date:      Fri, 05 Feb 1999 09:49:55 +0100
From:      HERBELOT Thierry <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
Cc:        tim@iafrica.com.na, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Info for newbie

Jim Shankland wrote:

> > FreeBSD works fine for routing between Ethernet segments, but my
> > experiance is that you will be happier with a router for WAN links.

Hello,

I would agree with the above statement : as long as routing inside the
kernel uses only one route for each destination and there is no
real-time monitoring of the operational status of this route, there may
be times when when you lose connection to the destination and have to
wait for GateD to update the kernel's routing tables.

So, FreeBSD can be working as a WAN router (most likely at one extremity
of a point-to-point link), but I wouldn't use one as a full-function
router (nevertheless FreeBSD is the basis for Juniper Network's mega
router - see http://www.juniper.net/).

	TfH