Date:      Fri, 06 Nov 1998 16:15:11 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "junkmale@xtra.co.nz" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>, "K S Manu" <kmanu@heuristec.com>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: supported hardware question

On Sat, 7 Nov 1998 09:47:34 +1300, Dan Langille stands accused of being
an optimist:  ;o)

>On 6 Nov 98, at 13:34, K S Manu wrote:
>
>>   I just bought dell PC (400 mhz) with windows 98 (ugh) and was
>> wondering if I can  install freebsd on it. The hardware in my system
>> (video card, disk controller, etc) consists of the generic stuff sold by
>> dell. Does this configuration present a problem?  Also, I'm thinking of
>> getting ADSL connection.. is it supported in freebsd? Any information
>> would be greately appreciated.
>
>>From what I've seen and heard, just about anything will run under FreeBSD.
> And I use ADSL.  Not a problem.  It needs nothing special when it comes
>to FreeBSD.

Whoa, what an optimist ;o)

The BEST way to find out, IMNSHO (not so humble) is to download the
boot
floppy for 2.2.7 (and 3.0R, while you're at it) and boot it and see
what it detects
and what it doesn't.  And if you have a spare drive available, try
installing
to the spare drive (why bother repartitioning your current drive until
you know
you REALLY want FreeBSD permanently) and verifying all your hardware
is usable.  Trial installs will reveal a LOT.

And keep in mind, if some piece of hardware is incompatible, you can
always disable
it or pull it, and get another...

Personally, I avoid moboards with built-in SCSI, ethernet, or sound.  I
only want
built-in, PCI hosted EIDE, floppy controller, serial ports, and printer
port.

Everything else I want on a daughter card, so I can replace it at will,
without the
added expense of replacing the moboard itself.  But I understand why
some
people like these things built-in for various reasons.

And I've liked Dells because they stick to industry standards pretty
well.  Compaq,
Gateway, IBM, and most others like to cut costs by creating
non-standard
moboards, cases, etc.  Compaq even has SCSI and ethernet controllers
on a single chip (try to get that to work under ANY non-Winblows
environment!!).

I like to stay close to the hardware mainstream...

Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.