Date:      23 Sep 2002 12:09:46 +1000
From:      Duncan Anker <d.anker@au.darkbluesea.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Locating performance bottlenecks

I'm having problems with one of our web servers. Most of them run at
around a load average of 1 or less with no problems. The troublesome one
is hitting a load average of over 30 sometimes.

The site is intensely interactive, uses a load of PHP and accesses a
database. The database is located on another server so that probably
isn't causing any problems directly.

I suspect that the database is the bottleneck and Apache is being held
up waiting for it - but I can't see where.

What performance tools are available for locating bottlenecks? I don't
want to spend a lot of time fine-tuning something that isn't the
problem, but I'm at a loss to know where to start - Everything looks
relatively normal in the standard tools.

Thanks in advance,
Duncan Anker