Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 03:59:52 -0600
From:      "Brad Tashenberg" <tash@airmail.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   About FreeBSD

--MS_Mac_OE_3036887992_1563119_MIME_Part

To whom it may concern,

I had some questions about the FreeBSD OS but am not sure who's area this
would fall into. If they could be directed to the correct contact, I would
appreciate it.

I am new to the computer area and am interested to learn more in the
framework of the operating system aspect. Concerning FreeBSD, I read the
information that was offered and some aspects I didn't quite understand (it
is my fault because I am very inexperienced).

I am leaning toward the Unix platform to allocate my interests. Is FreeBSD a
direct descendant of the BSD-Unix operating system? I ask because in the
description, it states it as a "Unix-like operating system." I don't
understand what that means entirely. Also, is the system fully multi-tasked?
Or does that depend on other aspects besides the core OS itself. If so, is
it configured also to allocate multi-processor functionality? Or would that
also be an additional aspect outside its configurations.

The documentation stated that the FreeBSD OS is based with the X-Windows
system. When personally altering the system, is it possible to remove this
aspect from the system or will this have serious repercussions on the
overall system?

The last question I have would be is FreeBSD based on a Mach kernel? Or is
the kernel uniquely developed by FreeBSD developers themselves. I am aiming
this question toward the standard kernel that is received with FreeBSD upon
acquiring the OS.

In advance I would like to thank you for your time in helping me with these
questions. Once again, if these could be directed to the correct contact, I
would greatly appreciate it. I hope that everything is going well over there
for FreeBSD.

Thank you,

Brad

--MS_Mac_OE_3036887992_1563119_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>About FreeBSD</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
To whom it may concern,<BR>
<BR>
I had some questions about the FreeBSD OS but am not sure who's area this w=
ould fall into. If they could be directed to the correct contact, I would ap=
preciate it.<BR>
<BR>
I am new to the computer area and am interested to learn more in the framew=
ork of the operating system aspect. Concerning FreeBSD, I read the informati=
on that was offered and some aspects I didn't quite understand (it is my fau=
lt because I am very inexperienced).<BR>
<BR>
I am leaning toward the Unix platform to allocate my interests. Is FreeBSD =
a direct descendant of the BSD-Unix operating system? I ask because in the d=
escription, it states it as a &quot;Unix-<I>like</I> operating system.&quot;=
 I don't understand what that means entirely. Also, is the system fully mult=
i-tasked? Or does that depend on other aspects besides the core OS itself. I=
f so, is it configured also to allocate multi-processor functionality? Or wo=
uld that also be an additional aspect outside its configurations.<BR>
<BR>
The documentation stated that the FreeBSD OS is based with the X-Windows sy=
stem. When personally altering the system, is it possible to remove this asp=
ect from the system or will this have serious repercussions on the overall s=
ystem?<BR>
<BR>
The last question I have would be is FreeBSD based on a Mach kernel? Or is =
the kernel uniquely developed by FreeBSD developers themselves. I am aiming =
this question toward the standard kernel that is received with FreeBSD upon =
acquiring the OS. <BR>
<BR>
In advance I would like to thank you for your time in helping me with these=
 questions. Once again, if these could be directed to the correct contact, I=
 would greatly appreciate it. I hope that everything is going well over ther=
e for FreeBSD. <BR>
<BR>
Thank you,<BR>
<BR>
Brad<BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3036887992_1563119_MIME_Part--