Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2006 02:57:59 GMT
From:      Nathan Butcher <xqufa@yokohama.riken.jp>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/94850: FreeBSD 6.0 on Fujitsu BX300, networking doesn't work (no carrier)

>Number:         94850
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       FreeBSD 6.0 on Fujitsu BX300, networking doesn't work (no carrier)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
No problems whatsoever installing FreeBSD onto either model of BX300 blades (Pentium-III or Pentium-M). Dmesg.boot shows that both types of NIC hardware are properly detected, but I cannot get a link from either bge0 or bge1. ifconfig shows "no carrier"

The BX300 switch blades and my network is not the problem. FreeBSD 5.4 works fine on these blades, it's just that something must have happened between FreeBSD 5.4 and 6.0 which has caused the networking to fail.
(Actually, testing with 6.1-Beta4 does not fix anything either)

The Pentium-III blade has Broadcom BCM 5701, whist the Pentium-M has a BCM 5704S. Neither work (and I assume that both of them are using the same driver as well). The dmesg output for the Broadcom drivers and bge0 detection between a working FreeBSD 5.4 and a non-working FreeBSD 6.0 on the same hardware is identical (save the MAC addresses)

(Pentium-III blade)
bge0: <Broadcom BCM5701 Gigabit Ethernet, ASIC rev. 0x105> mem 0xfe000000-0xfe00ffff irq 16 at device 4.0 on pci1

bge1: <Broadcom BCM5701 Gigabit Ethernet, ASIC rev. 0x105> mem 0xfe010000-0xfe01ffff irq 17 at device 5.0 on pci1

>How-To-Repeat:
Using the Free BSD installer and attempting to get a DHCP connection results in failure. Simply trying to use dhclient to get a connection results in the following output:-

bge0: no link ........... giving up

>Fix:
Install FreeBSD 5.4 I guess..