Date:      Tue, 30 Dec 2008 22:18:44 -0800
From:      "Li, Qing" <qing.li@bluecoat.com>
To:        "Gerald Pfeifer" <gerald@pfeifer.com>, "Tijl Coosemans" <tijl@ulyssis.org>, "Qing Li" <qingli@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: HEADSUP: arp-v2 has been committed

Hi,

>=20
> > If it's easy to reintroduce it and become backwards compatible I
> > would do it. Like Julian said, you can give it the value 0. It
> > would be nice if the kernel tested for the old value as well,
> > perhaps behind an #ifdef COMPAT_FREEBSD*. That way when people
> > upgrade to FreeBSD 8 all their ports compiled under FreeBSD 7
> > keep working.
>=20
> What of this will be doable, Qing?  I guess Tijl and me need to
> understand when/whether/what to submit to Wine upstream...
>=20

I don't think we can provide binary compatibility without putting
back RTF_LLINFO exactly as it was. My preference is to continue down=20
the new path without RTF_LLINFO.

We still have some time before the 8.0 release. It's straightforward for

me to retain some of the RTF_LLINFO support in the new kernel if and
when the situation becomes necessary.

>>>=20
>>> I believe all of the affected ports have been updated to=20
>>> include the conditional blocks around RTF_LLINFO. So=20
>>> there is still a level of compatibility, right ?

>> Yes, and I'm OK with this. It's just that this makes FreeBSD 8
>> a special case.
>=20
> Agreed.

Since the affected ports now have the conditional code around
RTF_LLINFO,=20
the updates would allow these ports to compile in both -current and in
the=20
previous releases.

Let's go with this approach.=20

Thanks,