Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2007 05:02:49 +0800
From:      Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mouse wheel doesn't work

Dear everyone on the list

On my xorg-6.9.0 installed on FreeBSD 6.2, USB mouse work just fine with
mouse wheel; ps/2 mouse do not work. Nothing happens when scrolling
mouse wheel.

As I have only one ps/2 mouse I cannot test if all ps/2 mice suffer from
such problem or just this one, but I am sure this mouse works fine on
Windows and Ubuntu Linux with wheel.

By testing with xev it turns out no event is sent to X when scrolling
mouse wheel. By running 'moused -df -p /dev/psm0' it turns out mouse
daemon is not aware of scrolling at all (no message output when
scrolling wheel, a lot of message output when moving mouse or clicking).

Various parameter of moused is tried, including '-z 4' and various mouse
type (which always get me the message "mouse type mismatch (ps/2 !=
mouseman), ps/2 is assumed", as manual suggested there is only one type
for ps/2 mice).

Mouse section of xorg seems to be correct, and I think it's not useful
to tweak X configuration if moused cannot by itself detect mouse wheel
movement.

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option      "Buttons" "5"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

xmodmap also shows there is no re-mapping of mouse buttons. Again if
moused isn't aware of scrolling, working on X level doesn't seem to be
helpful.

The box is thinkpad 380XD with an IBM red check-point on the keyboard,
which as far as I know is also /dev/psm0, probably something on hardware
level is done to merge signal of check-point and real ps/2 mouse
together, and mouse wheel movement might be dropped during this merge.

manual pages for psm0 suggested there are multiple operation level of
the driver, at level one wheel events are ignored, at level two wheel
events are included. The manual suggested how to set operation level in
C, but didn't say how to set or get current operation level with command
line (if it's possible at all).

If it's because the model if my mouse is happen not to be in the model
database of psm0 then what should I do to submit my mouse model to the
database to help FreeBSD have a larger coverage of hardware information?

Thanks.

P.S. I can use USB mouse which is fine, just still like to ask about
PS/2 mouse out of curious.

Best Regards

--
锐业软服(国内业务)  http://www.realss.cn