Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:05:31 -0700
From:      Adi <lists@lists.grot.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   ICMP echo measurement discrepancy

I have a SDSL 768K lightly loaded DSL circuit terminating on a Flowpoint 2200
SDSL router connected to an ethernet switch off of which I have 3 FreeBSD
machines:

<redback sms1000>---768K SDSL---<router>==[switch]===(FreeBSD machine)

I also control the ISP end of the DSL circuit. Depending on the *line
encapsulation of the SDSL circuit*, different programs running ICMP echo
report different packet loss rates with otherwise the _exact_ same setup.

If I run ping interactively on the command line, as in

> ping -c 10 -n x

where x is the ISP router interface or any other "remote" IP address from one
of my FreeBSD machines, I see no packet loss, and it's been that way since the
day the circuit was installed.

To keep a historical measurement, I have a perl script that does the ping
every 5 minutes and keeps it in an RRD much like mrtg. In the perl script I've
used both a system call to fping or used Net::Ping. I currently prefer the
latter, but the effects are the same.

If the SDSL line encapsulation is set to PPP over ATM then I typically see no
packet loss at all to a variety of sites and have measurements over 4-5 months
to prove it.

However, if I use fping or Net::Ping from a script, it reports packet loss
quite "often" -- in fact fping seems to always report packet loss (I count the
number of returned packets in it's case).

The changes to the network are made over 1 hop away from any FreeBSD machines
and the traffic levels have remained the same and ping interactively reports
different results from 2 different programs run in the background...I'm
befuddled. Any ideas (I could run ping in the background I suppose)?

Thanks,
Adi