Date:      Sun, 18 Oct 1998 00:15:22 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Tom Jackson <toj@gorilla.net>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic

Tom Jackson wrote:

> [snip]
>
> I'm getting this crash, not on elf(kernel+exec)/smp/scsi but on a old
> Thinkpad with a pccard ed0, a elf(kernel+exec)/up/ide. Thought since the
> reference to modules that pcvt instead of sc0 might work - no such luck.
> I get the panic right after the pcic is probed and before the pccard is
> initialized.
>
> I'm not getting any crash dumps on any of my elf systems.

Hi,

I've been talking to Chuck about this - if the panic is similar / the same as
his, you won't get a crashdump - as it's happening too soon into the boot
process...

The only thing I could think of was to have a line similar to:

config          kernel  root on XXX dumps on YYYY

In the kernel config - Though LINT warns against this, it might be the only
way of telling the system where to dump to - as it's panics so soon during
boot...

I'm hoping someone who knows more what there talking about will step in with
"That's a good/bad idea" - and why...

I seem to remember using the kernel config to specify the dump device, but
that was from ages ago (2.2.2? :-)

Regards,

Karl